|Apathy Sentences, Examples and Definition|
- You are apathetic if you say, "I don't care, why are telling this to me. Go tell your dad about it. I working on an important office assignment."
- You are sympathetic if you say, "Ho bro, how scary, I'm sorry to hear that, God should help you"
- You are empathetic if you say, "I can see your panic, be bold, come, let's go and see what could be done, let me help you."
None of these behavior is neither right or wrong as it depends on the situation. In fact, you show apathy for several reasons such as it does not concern you, your personal values differs from others, you are not affected by the situation, you have not gone through a similar situation in your life.
If you have not gone through certain life situations you become apathetic. For example, if you do not know how it pains when there is a cut in the finger using a knife unless you experience this situation. Generally, kids and children are apathic in several situations that adults feel sensitive. That's because, children have not gone through that particular situation. For example, you child will not know how you feel about broken relationship as your kid have never experienced it. So classifying apathy as, "Bad" is being judgemental.
List of Apathy Sentences
- You complain about your headache to your spouse and he/she replies, "So what, what should I do for that, I have an important business phone call now, so do not disturb me". This is because, it doesn't bother your spouse of your headache. But doesn't mean that your spouse doesn't love you. It can still be argued that your spouse is working hard to earn money so that you can lead a comfortable luxurious life. Confusing love and apathy is quite common among many spouses
- You tell your boss that you are planning to go on a vacation and your boss replies, "Why are wasting your time, energy and money on unnecessary things like vacations". It is an apathic sentence as the personal values of your boss is different from yours. For you, vacation and entertainment is important while for your boss saving money is important. So both are right and your boss being apathetic is completely acceptable.
- One of your two children are badly hurt falling from the terrace and your other child says, "Hahaha, my brother as fallen from terrace and look at him, he is crying like a kid." This behaviour is because, your other child as not gone through the pain in his/her life.
List of apathy words
List of apathy Phrases
- I don't care
- Never mind
- That is not my problem
- I am not concerned about it
- I don't want to hear that....
- Keep all that problems with yourself...
- You keep disturbing me and I don't want that...
Avoid/scarcely use Apathy Statements
Here is a list of situations where you can either avoid or scarcely use Apathy Statements:
- When you're selling or during customer service and/or in call centers
- When you're communicating your life goals and life decisions to others.
- When you're playing the different life roles such as brother, manager, father and husband to name a few
- When you're communicating in corporate meetings or playing team games and activities
- When you give compliments or feedback
- When you're handling interpersonal conflicts
- When you're presenting or persuading someone.
Other Verbal Communication Barriers like Apathy
- Speech fillers
- Mother Tongue Influence (MTI)
- Being judgmental
- Use of redundant statements
- Being sympathetic rather than being empathetic
- Being aggressive or passive rather than being assertive
Replace Apathy Statements with Effective Communication Skills
Here is the list that can help you to neutralize your apathy:
- Use Empathy Statements
- Use rapport building statements
- Effective listening and questioning skills
- Patience and perseverance skills
- Use figure or speech, anecdotes and other rhetorical devices
- Use speech transitions and persuasive transitions
- Be kind and polite
- Be assertive
Understanding common human behavior will help build interesting human relationships. An important point to note is that apathy is neither right or wrong. It is just another kind of human behavior, accepting apathetic people can enhance our interpersonal relationships.