Anecdote, Short Story, Joke
Anecdote Vs Joke:The only intention behind sharing a joke is to make the other person laugh while anecdotes’ one of the intention is laughter but it could have other intentions such as provoking a thought, revealing a fate, narrating realizations of a person’s experience and so on.
A joke can be a story and all stories may not be a joke.
Examples of Anecdotes:
- I should stop listening to kids. They confuse me. Last evening, my son was talking to one of my neighbors' daughter (three-year old). He, "Does god exist?". She, "God only knows whether god exists are not", he, "true, true".
- My Mother is very kind. She even answers the recorded messages of my mobile phone service provider. tring-tring, tring-tring! My mom picks the call and the call goes "Hi, get the caller tunes by sending an sms to 2435 with fre..." my mom interrupts "No, but my son is not.." and recorded message goes "...or call us to get a free.." my mom "but, listen..."
- Sometimes, my mother gets so involved in TV programs that she feels part of it. Last evening, she was talking to the television informing the screen character of awaiting danger under the assumption the character can hear her. She said, "Turn around, turn around, that guy is going to hit you with an iron rod"
- My wife and I were shopping and she saw this expensive trouser with a small print written on the sides of inside pockets. Do not tumble dry, do not bleach, do not dry clean, handle with care. She, who actually washes my clothes, said "If 'do not wash' restriction were printed on it, I would have recommended you to buy this trouser'"
- Operating elevators are little confusing sometimes. Today, I was inside the office elevator and one of my friend was approaching to get inside the lift. With an intention of keeping the elevator door open, I pressed the close-the-door button. ssssss....the door closed even earlier than the usual time it was supposed to take.
- I expect shopping malls to use less technology so that they avoid confusing the customers. Last evening, this lady with a beautiful smile, bowed down in a friendly manner, and said, with a polite voice, “Good Morning, welcome to xyz(shop name), wish you a happy new year”. I said, “Thanks a lot, wish you the same”. But I realized that it is a doll only when she repeated "good...wel...happy...".Year 2008; I got married. Year 2009; God blessed me with a child. Year 2010; God blessed me with another child. Year 2011; I suggest god to stop this non-sense of blessing and do something better.
- I think I'm boring. I had a small party last evening where I made a new friend. I spoke about my school days, college pranks and marriage life. But he was frequently looking around then talking to me, to see if there is anyone more interesting than me.
- I heard that Thomas Alva Edison failed 10,000 times while trying to invent Light bulb. But I wonder how people let him fail.
- Last week, I failed in one of my office tasks; within no time there was call from manager blasting me saying "how could you go wrong"; my colleagues called me and asked "what the hell is going on"; meanwhile, customer was upset and sent a mail "if you don't fix it NOW, you will be fired".
- Hoping to be punctual, I set my watch 15 minutes fast. Now, whenever I look at my watch, I say to myself in a relaxed tone "Be cool, it is 15 minutes fast" and end up going late to the meetings as usual.
- Yesterday I got lost in a busy street. So I took help of a stranger to find my way. I was nodding thoughtfully to the complex set of directions given by him which I know I am never going to remember.
- I carried TV remote control instead of my cell to the office yesterday. No wonder I haven't got any promotions for the last four years.
- Yesterday, I got stuck with a sentence while I was reading the newspaper. The more I read this sentence, the less it means to me.
- I heard, in one of the small villages in Africa, people rub nose with each other in greeting. So, ideally, one must remove their spectacles while greeting. For me, it is difficult to survive in this village because I'm afraid that I might rub the wrong nose--or even ears--because I can't see anything when I remove my spectacles.
- I have some friends who curse interestingly. This guy cursed me last evening "May all the hair on your head fall but one and let that one hair grow grey"
- I have close to 13 books lying all over my bed. People think I read a lot. Actually I use these books as head rest instead of pillow, leg rest instead of pillow, hand rest instead of pillow.
- I heard an amusing fact "Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying." I wish this also works when I'm crying while my wife beats me.
- I think even newspapers love shopping. Last evening, this piece of newspaper had stuck on to my shoes all through my one day shopping.
- Glue works on shirt buttons too. last evening, one of the shirt buttons weaved off of my favorite shirt and I had no time to stitch it. So, I applied glue to paste the button on the shirt and used safety pin from behind so that it looks as if the button is doing the holding. it worked!
|Anecdotes Examples List|
Use can creatively use these anecdotes when:
- you're introducing yourself
- you're showing empathy to someone
- building rapport with someone
- like to grab attention of the audience
- like to move from one topic to other through transition statements
- give compliments
- persuade or negotiate with someone
- communicating assertively
- you're trying to say, "No"
- giving feedback
- you're trying resolve conflicts
Anecdotes are yet another effective verbal communication tools such as use of figure of speech, persuasive words, prosody of speech, appropriate use of structure and content words.
However, you must avoid these verbal communication barriers while you're narrating these anecdotes. It includes verbal speech fillers, judgmental statements, redundancy, generalized statements, Mother Tongue Influence (MTI), and negative words
Funny Figure of Speech Speech Examples: Procatalepsis, Irony, Pun, Onomatopoeia...